First steps in polishing Alabama almondine garnets
by WC McDANIEL
The garnets found on the DMC trip to Ashland, Alabama come covered with mica, dirt and other “stuff”.
(1) As a first step thoroughly wash with a brisk water hosing, repeating really helps.
(2) Fill your tumbler 3/4 full of garnets, cover to top with water. Do not put grit in your mixture.
(3) Tumble for a couple hours. Open and drain. It should be very red.
(4) Fill with clean water. Keep repeating.
(5) After 1-2 days the majority of the covering should be gone and you can start a regular tumbling load (not sure of the final results).
If you do not stop and clean after a few hours and if you put grit in right away you will end up with a very messy mixture of paste-like muck and very little cleaning action.
This article was written by MAGS member, WC McDaniel ©2002